}
Wednesday, May 26, 2004
feeling the peeling feeling

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Summer's ending. You've soaked up as much sun as your vacation leaves could permit. Are you feeling the peeling feeling?

Being born a morena, I literally soak up the sun. I'm a sponge lying on the beach, absorbing all the darkening rays possible. I tan even through a sunblock with 70 SPF. I tan even through a henna tattoo. And the tan or should I say, "the darkness" stays there, indefinitely. And unlike my melanin-challenged friends, I will never feel the peel.

These friends of mine (the melanin-challenged ones) always tell me how they envy my skin. So many tan amplifiers, tanning lotions, so much effort just to get the darkness that us pure pinoys abhor. If there was a tanorexic murdering psycho, he or she would probably love to skin us alive (or dead). And so why don't we feel good about not feeling the peeling feeling? Why do we actually welcome peeling, just to become white - and for some people, quite unevenly... white face, dark neck? It's so rampant here in Manila that I'm wondering if there's a shortage on mirrors. Nonetheless, the lotions and potions are endless.

I for one, grew up with people practically placing fair skin on a pedestal (thanks mostly to my mother, who walked around Boracay in a long-sleeved polo). The goal was to be white. Because more clothes would look good on you, more guys would like you, more girls would want to be like you. It's silly isn't it. And it took me a while to peel out of this mentality. After all the papaya soaps, lightening lotions and peel-inducing concoctions, you'd realize that there's really no way it can be done. You're born with it and so live with it. Just take all your skin in and give out a big, burning sensation-free sigh of self-satisfaction.

So here I am. Tanned, unpeeled and proud. No matter what my mother says.
dezphaire strapped in @ 3:30 AM  

3 Comments:

  • At 12:35 PM, Blogger asphaire 許泰莎 said…

    To all the morenas of this world: Rock on, girls!

     
  • At 3:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i love it when girls like you try tooooo hard to appease yourselves by saying someone actually ENVIES your skin...haha you're dark, and you dont like it. say it just that simple.

     
  • At 10:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Let me guess... Anonymous is PUS WHITE and can't do a damn thing about it. No wonder he/she's hiding under and 'Anonymous' identity. HAHAHA! I wonder why a lot of white people go through pains just to get some semblance of a tan (though more often than not, they turn lobster pink). Let me guess again... Oh yeah, because TAN (or morena, for that matter) is sooooo cool! Love your color Dezphaire!

     

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philippines

Sometimes bored. Most of the time oddly alive. Phobic of butterflies. Creatively suppressed. Hungry for coffee and shoes. This is my subconscious talking... at times interrupted by my reality.

previous stabs
top of the shelf
the closet
shop around
my shoebox
poetry & lit
reklamadorang ako
launch station
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from dezphaire. Make your own badge here.
tag me

soundtrack of the moment
Jealousy, turning saints into the sea. Swimming through sick lullabies, choking on your alibis. But it's just the price to pay, Destiny is calling me. Open up my eager eyes 'cause I'm Mr. Brightside -- "Mr. Brightside" The Killers
notice
All words, verses and art are copyrighted to me unless otherwise specified. Authorization and reference required for any form of reproduction or use. Much thanks for your respect and support.
Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting
Kukote Meets The Beauties
fashion dress up games

Powered by Blogger