}
Tuesday, September 21, 2004
BAAAADminton
After having gone through by far the worst shopping experience of my life by going to Market Market, I went to play badminton. Yes, that frenzy of a sport claiming the lives of so many people.

But let me digress a little - a side story on Market Market. Popular perceptions brewing around are of this being the high-class Greenhills shopping center, the Philippine version of Thailand’s MBK (right). I excitedly go in with my parents last Sunday, only to be greeted by literally a swarm of what seems to be the entire Taguig and Bicutan population. No offense to anyone living there. But here's the picture - kids, thugs, families and their extended families. Kids are in absolute awe of the escalator, after discovering that when they walk the opposite way, they actually go nowhere. It was the treadmill revelation. More kids whose goal seem to be to short circuit the automatic doors in the shortest possible amount of time... if I step here it opens, step back and it closes... open, close, open close... if only these things can act on their own, I would see freshly squished kids lying around. And I bet that huge colorful playground would be broken even before the Christmas bazaar starts. I could last 14 hours in Divisoria on a holiday, 6 hours in an unventilated Ukay-ukay cluster, and not even 2 hours in Market Market. It was a migraine waiting to happen. Well, actually, it already did.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. We played badminton - me, Chips, his brother and sister and their respective partners. I, being the only one with a practically naked background on the sport (having last played the thing in my early High School days - not even legitimately... palo-palo lang sa kalsada), missed hitting the shuttlecock like a blindfolded kid missing a pinata (though I had my eyes wide open).

BF of Chips' sister gave me a crash course on the forehands and backhands of badminton. He oriented me with the grip - thumb should be on this side, pointer finger somewhere... and the rest would just grip the thing gingerly, not tightly, for support. He went on to say that the elbow should be raised in such a way, the knees slightly bent, body facing wherever, blah blah blah (short term memory talaga). Wala na. Hindi ko gets. Hindi ko rin na-get ang mga shuttlecock na lumilipad-lipad. He then resorted to analogies: the right way to grip is like how you hold a knife. Great, I got that right. The forehand is like hitting someone over the head, with a follow-through to the side (towards the left side, if you're right handed). And the backhand is like slapping someone with the back of your hand. And from that, I could hit the little damn feathered teepee. It's good to get lessons from him - he knows how to talk to his target market.

Since then, I can barely use the right side of my body. I am in pain. Extreme pain. Yesterday the muscle aches battled for my winces with my first-day cramps (sa kinasamaang palad, dinatnan pa ako, leche). I went to get relief via a massage, but at no avail. Today I am trying to stay awake given 500mg and counting worth of painkillers circulating in my system. I could barely for the life of me even ponytail my hair or clasp my bra. Packers.

And let me end with a digressive question: How did they come to call the little feathered thing a "shuttlecock" anyway?
dezphaire strapped in @ 9:27 PM  

7 Comments:

  • At 10:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    oh wow. badminton. i failed the damned thing in college. couldn't win a single tournament and my teacher was one of those incredibly feisty lesbians who cannot say anything without yelling. no love lost for that sport. hehe :)

    (but aren't painkillers beautiful? :P)

    apester

     
  • At 2:31 PM, Blogger dezphaire said…

    these are the times when i miss my old, bumming self. as in the one who did nothing - no gym, no sport, no nothing. then again i'm not getting any younger. but despite everything, shopping still remains to be my best event. kahit marathon. h'wag lang sa Market Market.

     
  • At 11:44 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    ok lang yan, pareho lang tayo... i did something worse... sumali ako sa tournament...

     
  • At 2:45 AM, Blogger Cat said…

    Everyone's commenting on badminton. I am going to comment on Market Market!

    Market Market is near my office. Well, you need a car to get there still. I've been wanting to go but I heard that during the weekend, the place was swarmed!

    I'd love to go but hearing that the place is packed just scared me and reading your entry just sealed my fear! I guess if I wanna check it out, I gotta go on a weekday.

     
  • At 10:04 AM, Blogger dezphaire said…

    kuya jeff: malala ka na. hindi na kita ma-reach.

    cat: it would be safer to go on a weekday. as for me, i think i'll just pass going back there again. i'd rather go to divisoria - sardine packed yes, but thugs no. and by the way, your site is blocked again... "contains about 81% elicit content"

     
  • At 5:02 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    update sa tournament...
    1st runner up ako sa level ko... nanalo po ako sa raffle ng accommodations sa baguio for three days and two nights...

     
  • At 8:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Whenever you mention "Ukay-Ukay" it makes me laugh, don't know why.

    I hope you're feeling better. Kulang ka ata sa stretching? hehehe.

     

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philippines

Sometimes bored. Most of the time oddly alive. Phobic of butterflies. Creatively suppressed. Hungry for coffee and shoes. This is my subconscious talking... at times interrupted by my reality.

previous stabs
top of the shelf
the closet
shop around
my shoebox
poetry & lit
reklamadorang ako
launch station
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from dezphaire. Make your own badge here.
tag me

soundtrack of the moment
Jealousy, turning saints into the sea. Swimming through sick lullabies, choking on your alibis. But it's just the price to pay, Destiny is calling me. Open up my eager eyes 'cause I'm Mr. Brightside -- "Mr. Brightside" The Killers
notice
All words, verses and art are copyrighted to me unless otherwise specified. Authorization and reference required for any form of reproduction or use. Much thanks for your respect and support.
Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting
Kukote Meets The Beauties
fashion dress up games

Powered by Blogger