}
Sunday, February 20, 2005
romance quirks
This post was inspired by Cat's message on my tagboard (yes, I don't like flowers)... and also since the week of hearts is at its wake. Don't get me wrong, I'm as (hopelessly) romantic as any girl. I cry myself through Judith McNaught novels. A sentimental song can get me teary-eyed before it even reaches the chorus. Oh man, and if I'm PMS-ing? I can cry just sitting by myself in the dark. I'm a sap too. And a sucker for romantic surprises.

I guess that's it. Surprises. Flowers just doesn't do it for me (beyond the fact that they're butterfly-related). Especially on Valentines, which is so predictable. So are flowers on an anniversary, on a birthday... so on and so forth. More than flowers, what I really don't like is "predictable". It would mean so much more if it was even just a single flower (it need not be a rose) given to you "just because". Not because an occasion propels your partner to do so.

Okay since we're on the topic of romance and "normal" romantic practices. Another thing that I don't like is when there's a booth in a resto and a couple is both on one side. Argh I just hate that. It looks like we're watching a movie. I recall when Chips and I were just a "few days old", we were eating in Sbarro's and he motioned to sit beside me. I told him off frankly, "what are you doing?". And he just stood there, dumbfounded. Sitting beside you, he replied. I gave him a what-are-you-thinking look. Uhh... no, I said simply (sungit ba?). Since then, he asks my permission if he wanted to sit beside me. I let him only when (1) the airconditioning in the place is unforgivable and (2) if I'm moody, in pain, or PMS-ing and need some comforting. He attempted last valentine's. Eeek! No! If he did, we would be a whole row of couples sitting like such. Over my dead body. How are we going to talk anyway? How are we going to properly share food? Where's the eye contact? Bah.

It must be difficult, you might think, to celebrate a milestone with me. I'm not high maintenance really. I'm happy if dinner was an all-beef shawarma with cheese at the Food Channel. Or a meal at Tapa King. Among the whoop-dee-doo gifts Chips has given? An exacto-knife with a matching cutting board. A glass pallette he had carved for when I painted (I bawled when he gave this). A brown bikini from Roxy (okay so that cost quite some moolah). A "Little Book of Crap" from Fully Booked. Shoes (yah, who could go wrong with shoes). And a ring (not that kind). He's been keeping it up so far, throughout the four years. And he'd better keep it up for more years too. Hint, hint.

I don't think I'm a difficult girlfriend, really. I'm sure all you other girls would have your quirks too.

***

On another note, let me introduce everyone to Obi-wan Kenobi - our 2-month old shih-tzu. He's so small that I had to buy him a bell so we'd know where he was. He currently thinks that Liam's ponytail is a teether and gnaws on it everytime he gets the chance (which often results to some dog-wrestling). He bites on everything from the hem of your skirt or pants to your slippers. You'd like to scold him... but he's just the cutest little thing.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

dezphaire strapped in @ 9:30 PM  

5 Comments:

  • At 1:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    obi! obi! hehe. that dog is soooo cute! like when he tries to bite down so hard, tapos walang ngipin. hahaha. gummy bite!

     
  • At 2:15 AM, Blogger Cat said…

    Hehe, IMC ulit... 3 points!

    (1) Hmm, I never thought about the booths before. But you make a good point! A and I sometimes sit side by side. Sometimes, across from each other.

    But you know how some restaurants have tables for 4 and one pair would be seated on a cushioned bench and the other on hard chairs? We sit beside each other on the bench because it's more comfy.

    (2) Awww! A glass pallette he carved himself? That is too beautiful, too sweet and too original! (3 points ulit!)

    (3) I can't imagine you bawling. Teary- eyed, maybe. But not bawling! If I tried imagining, I'd think of you as one of those overly sensitive and emotional women on tv. Not a pretty image.

    Pwede 4 points? (Don't get mad Doc K!)

    (4) Obi Wan Kenobi?! That's such a unique name for a puppy. :) So do you guys call him Obi? Kenobi? Keno? Obiwan? (By the way, read somewhere that dogs respond more to names ending with ly, i, and ie.

     
  • At 3:31 AM, Blogger Cat said…

    Oh, oh, oh! I love, LOVE, LOOOOOVE Judith McNaught novels. I have all except Kingdom of Dreams. I've read all regency era book plus Double Standards at least 3 times and I cry every time.

    I miss my books. Two Mays ago, we moved into this much smaller house. Since we were having our house built, we thought we'd be here for a year lang. So we kept our books in boxes and had it stashed in our bodega somewhere in Rizal. Sometimes, I wanna go up there and find the books. But that's like looking for a needle in what I would imagine to be an insect and rodent infested haystack. Sometimes, I'm half tempted to buy the books in Powerbooks! Bad bad bad! Luho ko talaga mga books!

     
  • At 8:52 AM, Blogger dezphaire said…

    cat: three points din:

    1. yup the palette was a real tear-jerker. he had it carved in some glass shop. shame that i haven't gotten to using it much!

    2. the puppy is called obi or obi-wan. he's still training to be a jedi. as of now he's not that smart yet.

    3. judith mcnaught rules. my fave is Whitney my Love. i cry every time! yes, i cry. haha. as hard as it may for you to believe...

     
  • At 6:12 PM, Blogger asphaire 許泰莎 said…

    haha dez, me and C also hate to see couples sitting next to each other. i share your sentiments.. where's the eye contact and how can you talk? i also have exemptions.. when i really need some comforting. But when extreme moodiness hits, oh.. he can sit a mile away from me. heehee

     

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philippines

Sometimes bored. Most of the time oddly alive. Phobic of butterflies. Creatively suppressed. Hungry for coffee and shoes. This is my subconscious talking... at times interrupted by my reality.

previous stabs
top of the shelf
the closet
shop around
my shoebox
poetry & lit
reklamadorang ako
launch station
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from dezphaire. Make your own badge here.
tag me

soundtrack of the moment
Jealousy, turning saints into the sea. Swimming through sick lullabies, choking on your alibis. But it's just the price to pay, Destiny is calling me. Open up my eager eyes 'cause I'm Mr. Brightside -- "Mr. Brightside" The Killers
notice
All words, verses and art are copyrighted to me unless otherwise specified. Authorization and reference required for any form of reproduction or use. Much thanks for your respect and support.
Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting
Kukote Meets The Beauties
fashion dress up games

Powered by Blogger