}
Tuesday, May 24, 2005
changing face
I walked into Let's Face It (a facial care / derma center) to have my lashes permed last Sunday - at that that time, I felt that this was a catapult into the world of mega ka-kikayan. That feeling faded as I saw behind the reception area. It was packed like sardines. Men were getting facials, this woman was getting some cellulite treatment, yada yada yada. There was a woman who was having a foot spa, some facial peeling treatment (it made a whizzing sound similar to that of a dentist) and a manicure all at the same time. I was amazed at the menu of things a person could have done on him/herself. All for so-called self betterment. They made my lash-perming effort so miniscule.

As I lay there waiting, I heard this woman arrive. She said she was there for her regular whatever-peeling treatment. How regular could this induced peeling be? Your skin renews itself on its own. I visualize her having only one layer of her epidermis left, with her facial muscles almost visible. Do they even think that they look better? Their skin looks like plastic. Barbie's skin actually looks more natural.

I saw this special on some show about plastic surgery. There's this woman actually spending so much just so she could look like Nefertiti. Because she's a queen and she's the epitome of beauty and she feels that she's a reincarnation. Right. She looks absolutely horrendous. She looks like the bust all right. But maaaan! It's just so unnatural, it's scary. Chips was also telling me about this woman who got addicted to plastic surgery (a special on Dateline). She's like chopsuey. Imagine a face with the nose of Michael Jackson, the lips of Angelina Jolie, the jaw of Jennifer Anniston... and I don't know what else. They showed a picture of her before all the knife-weilding and she looked so much better. Almost like Julia Roberts actually. Then there's this show on MTV called I want A Famous Face. It documents the plastic surgery of teens and young adults. I have no idea what the objective of this show is. To discourage? To promote? To just plain entertain? God knows.

I can't actually fathom WHY these people can't be happy with what they have. Each one is beautiful. Each one is a gift, no matter what the looks, what the shape or size. It's difficult to figure out the deeper motivations for such editing (if there are any) especially if such doesn't even seem to be needed. But it's easy to understand why Al Pacino, playing the devil, calls vanity his favorite sin.
dezphaire strapped in @ 9:58 AM  

9 Comments:

  • At 10:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    kumusta ang kulot? hope it turned out well!

     
  • At 2:31 AM, Blogger Cat said…

    Speaking of the chopsuey-ed face and Nefertiti plastic surgery, I once saw a feature story on this woman who wanted to be the human Barbie doll. She had her face redone so many times, hair dyed, boobs done and if I remember, had a rib taken out to make her waist more defined, like Barbie's. She's soooo obsessed, she even has a hot pink convertible!

    A couple of weeks ago, I read a story on Insider's website about this woman who was so obsessed with having her face done so she could look like her favorite pets-- cats!!! It looks so gross! And despite her look, she was able to snag a husband (her 2nd ata), a French designer at that, and he thinks she's very beautiful! Eh?

     
  • At 8:19 AM, Blogger dezphaire said…

    jojo: great! now i don't have to lug around a curler to retouch. hehe.

    cat: i know. what is it with those men. abnormal. the Nefertiti woman is also married, and the hubby fully supports her goal... emotionally and financially! i think she also has a kid. man, that must be scary for the little tot.

     
  • At 11:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    we all wear masks... some more literal than others, i suppose ;p

     
  • At 1:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    yeah! that woman they show sa entertainment tonight, 26 procedures! dang! more operations than i have toes. wahahaha! nanood ulit kami ng lagaan hahahaha! walang konek...

     
  • At 10:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    so how's the perm? i think i want to have my lashes permed too, hehe :)

    you forgot to mention dr. 90210 and the swan :)

     
  • At 11:13 AM, Blogger dezphaire said…

    gad. what is the world coming to. i didn't realize that there are so much plastic surgery shows out there.

    oh and the perm is grand. just a whish of mascara and you've got instant drama :) if you get one, tell them that you want it to look naturally curled. sometimes they tend to overdo it... para kang dilat na dilat.

     
  • At 3:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    THOUGHT I READ THIS: I can't actually fathom WHY these people can't be happy with what they have.
    READING NOW: I walked into Let's Face It to have my lashes permed....
    WHAT I UNDERSTOOD:Each one is beautiful, each one is a gift... YOU WRITE CRAP and you're full of it.

     
  • At 2:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    EGADS!!! Tama ba ang nabasa ko sa taas??? Duwag yan, tingin mo, nagpaka-anonymous pa!!! Naghahanap ng away or gulo, di naman kaya panindigan!!! SHET!!!

     

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philippines

Sometimes bored. Most of the time oddly alive. Phobic of butterflies. Creatively suppressed. Hungry for coffee and shoes. This is my subconscious talking... at times interrupted by my reality.

previous stabs
top of the shelf
the closet
shop around
my shoebox
poetry & lit
reklamadorang ako
launch station
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from dezphaire. Make your own badge here.
tag me

soundtrack of the moment
Jealousy, turning saints into the sea. Swimming through sick lullabies, choking on your alibis. But it's just the price to pay, Destiny is calling me. Open up my eager eyes 'cause I'm Mr. Brightside -- "Mr. Brightside" The Killers
notice
All words, verses and art are copyrighted to me unless otherwise specified. Authorization and reference required for any form of reproduction or use. Much thanks for your respect and support.
Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting
Kukote Meets The Beauties
fashion dress up games

Powered by Blogger