}
Monday, May 16, 2005
disembarked
My cousin, after a year's stint on a Holland America cruise ship, has finally come home. All weekend, we marveled at her stories, her pictures, and her encounters with the rich guests with bogus requests (hey, that rhymes). She has snorkeled and bungee jumped in Acapulco, cliff-jumped off the coast of New Jersey, shopped in the street markets of Mexico... ah, we were green with envy.

But her guests... man! Talk about demanding. Well, they've got the right to be anyway... after paying four grand (dollars, mind you) for a trip on a big boat. She was stationed for two months as a concierge for these people. She said they were kind, they weren't the type who just got rich out of the blue and treated everyone else like trash. So they were pretty much the polite but demanding and very appreciative type of rich people. Sample requests:

"I would like an indonesian-themed dinner for me and my friends". The crew needed to dress this guest's suite up with authentic indonesian decor, and cook up a menu of indonesian dishes and drinks. All in one afternoon, to make it to dinnertime.

"Dear, I don't see any blueberries in your blueberry muffin."
"Would you like me to send for another blueberry muffin, ma'am?"
"No, this blueberry muffin has made me lose my appetite."

And the kicker...

"Dear, there is a bird under my bed"
"A bird, ma'am?"
"Yes, there is a bird under my bed"
"A living thing?"
"Yes, quite odd isn't it"
"As in a bird?" Visualize my cousin flapping her hands.
In the end, there really was a bird.

Hmmm. Alternative career perhaps? But then again, I might just end up screaming and jumping off the boat.
dezphaire strapped in @ 9:29 AM  

4 Comments:

  • At 1:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    di bale na ganun ang guests, hanep naman sa perks! kainggit. grabe!

     
  • At 3:24 PM, Blogger dezphaire said…

    yah true, especially if you're a very, very patient and non-motion-sickness kind ;)

     
  • At 4:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hehe a bird under the bed??! someday i'd like to have a job that would allow me to travel

     
  • At 3:47 PM, Blogger asphaire 許泰莎 said…

    you want to hear insanity? i dont think i ever mentioned the target market of the magazine i work for.. err, basically, Forbes-material..

    we once had a feature on the ultimate indulgences:
    - buying an island
    - buying your own jet
    - yacht collecting
    - buying vineyards
    - space travel (one guy spent $20M to have his ashes sent to space when he dies and we interviewed Richard Branson of Virign Atlantic.. he just started Virgin Galactic)

    I went to an event last week... for a private club that is described in the UK as "beyond black" as in beyond black-tie status... it's a global concierge service.. there was a girl from the company who told me someone called them from Beverly Hills asking someone to send two bottles of evian for her dog and to walk the dog at rodeo drive. Insane? Pathetic? hmm.

    Oh, did I tell u I went to an event where Donald Trump Jr and his gf were there? it's all surreal... but really not impressive at all.

    People have too much money in their hands..

     

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philippines

Sometimes bored. Most of the time oddly alive. Phobic of butterflies. Creatively suppressed. Hungry for coffee and shoes. This is my subconscious talking... at times interrupted by my reality.

previous stabs
top of the shelf
the closet
shop around
my shoebox
poetry & lit
reklamadorang ako
launch station
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from dezphaire. Make your own badge here.
tag me

soundtrack of the moment
Jealousy, turning saints into the sea. Swimming through sick lullabies, choking on your alibis. But it's just the price to pay, Destiny is calling me. Open up my eager eyes 'cause I'm Mr. Brightside -- "Mr. Brightside" The Killers
notice
All words, verses and art are copyrighted to me unless otherwise specified. Authorization and reference required for any form of reproduction or use. Much thanks for your respect and support.
Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting
Kukote Meets The Beauties
fashion dress up games

Powered by Blogger