}
Thursday, July 21, 2005
at 2am it was over
I'm finished. Last night, or should I say this morning, it ended. Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code. I was trying so hard to stop myself from reading it all in one sitting. Okay so I did it in two. Not exactly meeting the objective of having slow, savory dosages. Why do I read so fast? Why? Dangit. And why do I have to be such a sucker for facts and trivial historical tidbits. Ayan tuloy.

I'd have to say that it was a brilliant book - because of the research put behind it. In terms of writing, well, I don't know. I was quite giddy-happy with the data dump. There were some parts that I thought would be better off unwritten or at least not belabored. There were parts that I really enjoyed reading (and visualizing). And then it came to end... What? This is it? It's over? That's the ending? I could not accept that that was the last page. Even when the next page was already the back end of the paperback. Okay, fine tapus na.

This is my favorite line (no offense to Parisians): "Symbologists often remarked that France - a country renowned for machismo, womanizing, and diminutive insecure leaders like Napoleon and Pepin the Short - could not have chosen a more apt national emblem than a thousand-foot phallus." It was just too sarcastic to overlook.


So for the rest of the day, I obsessed about researching for and validating the facts. I've surfed through the official website. I've looked at close-ups and close-ups of Da Vinci's art. Now I'm browsing through my boss' illustrated version of the book.

Okay. So now what.

Next book (which is till to be determined).
But damn I hate it when a good book ends.
dezphaire strapped in @ 11:43 PM  

9 Comments:

  • At 10:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i did the same thing after i read the book! sinearch ko talaga sa net then yun mga facts then i searched din madonna of the rocks and last supper. hay.. i love nice books.. :)

     
  • At 10:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i agree. fun because of the information and early plotting - although i found the end sooooo baduy. writing wise... so so. aside from the baduy ending, i found the characters flat (considering one is descended from christ). but certainly worth reading :)

     
  • At 11:28 AM, Blogger asphaire 許泰莎 said…

    anu vaaaaaa... where have u been hiding? You JUST read the Da Vinci Code?????? hehe

     
  • At 11:53 AM, Blogger dezphaire said…

    she: the illustrated version is sooo helpful. but then again, that would take the fun away from letting your imagination transport you to wherever.

    apester: yah the pacing was good too, not dragging at all. though plot predictable, i still loved swimming in all the information.

    asphaire: haha. yah unfortunately i am so way behind. i read Angels and Demons first. then had to produce 3 commercials. and then i had time.

     
  • At 6:40 PM, Blogger Cat said…

    I loved that book too and I couldn't believe it when you said you haven't read it yet! I can't wait for the movie version. Anyhow, can I just make kwento...

    Allan read it first before I did and while reading it, Allan would ask me up to what part I've read already and then we'll discuss the book! Whoa! Talk about nerds in their own out of school lit class!

     
  • At 10:35 PM, Blogger dezphaire said…

    cat: haha oo nga super delayed ko. there's another Robert Langdon book coming out - "The Solomon Key". i'll make it a point to be up to date on that one :)

    on the movie - urgh i just can't imagine Tom Hanks. masyado na syang lumpy lolo for me. sana the likes of Gary Sinise nalang.

     
  • At 11:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i'm re-reading DA VINCI CODE, but very slowly, only when I'm in my mom's house on saturdays because it's my sister who has the book. the first time i read it, i read it quite fast also. now i'm appreciating it more.

    go for ANGELS & DEMONS na!!!

     
  • At 11:51 AM, Blogger dezphaire said…

    jojo: i re-read the book too over the long weekend. the illustrated version is sooo much better. and yes, i've already read Angels and Demons - actually read it first. it also went by rather quickly...

    the next Langdon story "The Solomon Key" might be out late 2005 or 2006 and will be about the Kryptos and Masonry. i racked my brains on the online game on www.danbrown.com just to find out.

     
  • At 8:48 PM, Blogger asphaire 許泰莎 said…

    The Solomon Key??? I want I want!!! I'm currently reading Harry Potter. And then on to "The Name of the Rose". Then... off to France! mwehehehehehe

    I want the Solomon Key NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW!!!!!!!!!!!

     

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philippines

Sometimes bored. Most of the time oddly alive. Phobic of butterflies. Creatively suppressed. Hungry for coffee and shoes. This is my subconscious talking... at times interrupted by my reality.

previous stabs
top of the shelf
the closet
shop around
my shoebox
poetry & lit
reklamadorang ako
launch station
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from dezphaire. Make your own badge here.
tag me

soundtrack of the moment
Jealousy, turning saints into the sea. Swimming through sick lullabies, choking on your alibis. But it's just the price to pay, Destiny is calling me. Open up my eager eyes 'cause I'm Mr. Brightside -- "Mr. Brightside" The Killers
notice
All words, verses and art are copyrighted to me unless otherwise specified. Authorization and reference required for any form of reproduction or use. Much thanks for your respect and support.
Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting
Kukote Meets The Beauties
fashion dress up games

Powered by Blogger