}
Thursday, July 28, 2005
post tarantino disorder
I am not really a Tarantino fan. I know that his treatments are cutting-edge, and that he is loved and respected for such. I am, however, a CSI fan (if you couldn't tell already). I have literally watched every episode since its launch. And that season 5 ender left me disturbed.

I was sitting comfortably in a sofa, eyes glued to the TV set. I even watched the commercials (God, even that Cream-O desecration of CSI and that poorly scored Innova ad). I could feel some palpitations. It was a tense episode, the whole team helpless and naked of evidence. It was a good plot - the suspense of having a lead as the victim just sends your brain to the panicked world of what-ifs. What's also good is that each character was given a critical role in the case, even Hodges and Archie. But still, Grissom (of course) rules. Reading raving reviews online this morning, I found out that the episode was filled with allusions to other shows and to Tarantino's previous work (I couldn't tell). The reviews also provide a deeper analysis on the symbolisms and whys of the episode - greatly appreciated.

But - so what really disturbed me. Note that I am not on analysis mode. Knee-jerk reaction while watching - impatience. There were scenes that I felt that were not needed. The episode was all about the essence of time. Yet I felt things were belabored. I did not need to see a whole sequence establishing two dirty old men with Sam Braun to likewise establish his dirtiness. There were shots that just lingered a wee bit too long. More lingering and it could have passed for a Filipino Telenovela. And why was that orchard chosen? What made it the orchard? Not to say that the episode wasn't suspenseful though. These are just nits (and I'm picking on them - mark of an account manager).

And the biggest nit of all for me - that mega allusion to Kill Bill. The black and white showcase of morbidity. I later on rationalized that Nick's delusional state could be license enough for such treatment. But it came so late in the game that it was like a mushroom sprouting out of nowhere. I felt that it was so un-CSI. Maybe if there were little mushrooms (i.e. an installment of that delusional morbid treatment) sprouting out earlier so when the big mushroom comes, it wouldn't be as jarring. Well, that's just me. Again, I'm not a really Tarantino fan. It may be biased opinion.

But still, I love Grissom. That ant thing was just classic.
dezphaire strapped in @ 9:37 AM  

4 Comments:

  • At 6:46 PM, Blogger Cat said…

    Hey, you know what? I watched Quentin Tarantino's interview on Late Night with Conan O'Brien last night (same night that the finale was shown here in the Phils) and he talked about the finale. Yup, he patterned the story after an ABC After School Special called The Longest Night. Apparently, the story stuck to him when he saw it at 8 years old and he thought it would be a great storyline. As a fan of CSI, he realized that the story was good for an episode and he asked if he could direct it. He later found out that (if I remember correctly), the father of one of CSI's producers was the director of The Longest Night.

     
  • At 10:01 AM, Blogger dezphaire said…

    Cat: hey that's cool :) shame i didn't get to watch Conan. i actually loved the storyline - it's just that big delusional scene that really bothered me.

     
  • At 2:52 PM, Blogger drivebyshooter said…

    I have some more nits to pick...
    - the opening scene with Nick dropping a "4" pylons that turned into a "3" when Gil and Catherine hit the scene. I'm sure you can find enough info on this on the net.
    - Nick freaking out immediately after listening to the tape. I thought it was a bit early... then again, I'd probably be freaking out the moment I realize I'm in a box.

    Now, nits aside, this episode blew me away. I really did wonder if Nick would die, and in the words of a friend, this episode was a mindf*ck. I agree.

     
  • At 3:12 PM, Blogger dezphaire said…

    elber: mindf*ck! that's a good one. reading your nits, i recalled that the "put your hand on my hand" thing with Grissom was a bit cliche. but then again i guess it was needed.

     

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philippines

Sometimes bored. Most of the time oddly alive. Phobic of butterflies. Creatively suppressed. Hungry for coffee and shoes. This is my subconscious talking... at times interrupted by my reality.

previous stabs
top of the shelf
the closet
shop around
my shoebox
poetry & lit
reklamadorang ako
launch station
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from dezphaire. Make your own badge here.
tag me

soundtrack of the moment
Jealousy, turning saints into the sea. Swimming through sick lullabies, choking on your alibis. But it's just the price to pay, Destiny is calling me. Open up my eager eyes 'cause I'm Mr. Brightside -- "Mr. Brightside" The Killers
notice
All words, verses and art are copyrighted to me unless otherwise specified. Authorization and reference required for any form of reproduction or use. Much thanks for your respect and support.
Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting
Kukote Meets The Beauties
fashion dress up games

Powered by Blogger